- plant anatomy
- exact: portion of protoxylem tissue
- exact: protoxilema (Spanish)
- exact: 原生木（質）部 (Japanese)
- A portion of primary xylem (PO:0000272) tissue that has as part one or more protoxylem tracheary elements (PO:0025575) embedded in parenchyma (PO:0005421) tissue. [source: ISBN:047125208, ISBN:0471738433, POC:Laurel_Cooper]
- Develops while the vascular tissue (PO:0009015) is still elongating. When protoxylem tracheary elements (PO:0025575) are destroyed they may become obliterated by surrounding parenchyma cells (PO:0000074). Protoxylem has smaller elements than the metaxylem (PO:0000372).
Back to top